Miriam L. Schimmel
Miriam L. Schimmel focuses her practice on civil litigation, with a focus on employment disputes relating to wage and hour issues, wrongful termination, harassment, and discrimination. Ms. Schimmel primarily represents employees in claims against large and small businesses which have violated their rights under local, state and federal laws.
Ms. Schimmel is an employment law expert, having represented employees and employers for more than a decade. Prior to joining Gaines & Gaines, Ms. Schimmel represented management at one of the nation’s top law firms. She has worked as a temporary judge with the Los Angeles Superior Court for more than 15 years.
Ms. Schimmel earned her Bachelors Degree in Political Science from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). She earned her JD degree from Loyola Law School in 1996.
On a personal note, Ms. Schimmel enjoys Krav Maga, and has been an instructor since 2008.
- Represented insurance agents in a wage and hour class action against a large insurance company. Settled for a confidential amount prior to trial.
- Represented employees in a class and representative action against nationwide retailer for failure to pay wages due. Settled for a confidential amount.
- Represented employees in a class and representative action against a national bank for failure to provide meal periods. Settled for a confidential amount on a class wide basis.
- Defended a Fortune 500 employer in claims by an individual employee related to wrongful termination and discrimination. Settled for a confidential amount.
- U.S. District Courts for all Districts of California
- University of California, Los Angeles, 1992, B.A.
- Loyola Law School, 1996, J.D.