Alex P. Katofsky
Since 1999, Alex P. Katofsky has worked on hundreds of legal matters including jury and court trials, arbitrations, mediations, and appeals to numerous Courts of Appeal and the California Supreme Court. Currently, Mr. Katofsky focuses his practice on class action litigation, with a special emphasis on consumer privacy matters and wage and hour claims on behalf of California consumers and employees. He has successfully prosecuted and resolved hundreds of class and representative actions.
Prior to his affiliation with Gaines & Gaines, Alex had extensive experience in the prosecution and defense of business litigation, professional liability, real estate, insurance, collections, and personal injury matters, as well as transactions involving the purchase, sale and lease of commercial real estate, restaurants and other businesses. Alex also drafted and negotiated license, marketing, and franchise agreements relating to the sale and distribution of consumer products.
His business litigation experience includes the representation and defense of publicly and privately held companies in a variety of complex business disputes. Alex’s professional liability practice included the defense of lawyers, insurance agents/brokers, and real estate professionals. His real estate practice included the representation and defense of owners, tenants, brokers and agents in disputes involving sales, leases, commissions, and evictions. He has also litigated numerous insurance coverage actions. As a licensed real estate broker, Alex also has a vast knowledge of commercial and residential real estate transactions.
Alex received a Juris Doctor from University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law where he earned an American Jurisprudence Award in Insurance Law. While at McGeorge, Alex student-taught a course in Appellate Advocacy and volunteered two years in Community Legal Services where he helped represent indigent families in matters involving family law, bankruptcy and landlord-tenant disputes.
He also earned a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from California State University Northridge. Alex was a founding member of the CSUN chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity.
Alex enjoys spending his free time with his wife and two children. He is an avid sports fan – a diehard fan of the Los Angeles Dodgers and Pittsburgh Steelers.
- Represented consumers in a class action stemming from privacy law violations pursuant to California Penal Code section 632 (unlawful recording of telephone communications without notice) against automobile maker and national call center. Settled with conditional class certification for $5.265 million.
- Represented consumers in a class action stemming from violation of federal credit and debit card privacy laws (the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003) against a domestic airline. Settled with conditional class certification for $1.80 million.
- Represented loan officer employees in a class, collective and representative action against nationwide mortgage lender for misclassification as outside salespersons and failure to pay overtime wages or fully reimburse expenses. Settled with conditional class certification for $3 million.
- Represented multiple individual employees in a wage and hour action against settled against satellite television provider for Labor Code violations. Settled with conditional class certification for $2.2 million.
- Represented multiple individual employees in a wage and hour action against settled against bakery supplier employer relating to its alleged failure to reimburse its sales force for automobile expenses. Settled with conditional class certification for $975 thousand for less than 50 class members.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Central, Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of California
Awards & Affiliations
- Member, American Bar Association, Employment Division
- Member, California Employment Lawyers Association
- J.D., University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law
- B.A., California State University, Northridge